2 Peter 1:20

Truster

I post poetry online and yesterday I had a response to a particular piece. The man said he’d been waiting for 8 long and miserable years to read what I’d written and that it had helped him greatly. He briefly described the circumstances he’d been under and felt reassured that someone understood and had suffered in the same way.
The problem is that what he thought I meant and what I actually meant are not one and the same. This had me thinking about the way people read the scriptures and twist them to fit their own circumstances or desires. As the author of the piece I know for an absolute certainty what I meant and what the words are meant to convey.

Rule: Scripture can only mean what it meant when FIRST RECEIVED. It conveys the unchangeable revealed will of the unchangeable Eternal Almighty. It is not subject to the interpretation of man, but is interpreted by the Author, the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1:20

If the man had asked me, as the author, I would have gladly revealed the meaning, but he chose to interpreted it himself. It doesn’t really matter in regard to my work, but in regard to the scriptures, who would be so stupid…

PS I tried reading the piece from his point of view and it doesn't work, because it creates gaps in the train of thought.

beameup

But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. - 2 Peter 1:20-21 NASB

Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God. - NLT

Truster

The relevance is simple. The Holy Spirit that spoke in the prophets is the interpreter of the scripture. What is it about the truth that you hate so much?

"That they all might be damned who believe not the truth .."