Why pray with eyes closed?

iouae

That's it really.

I did a quick concordance search concerning praying and nowhere did I find any mention of closing one's eyes during prayer?

So why does it seem compulsory these days to close one's eyes?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
That's it really.

I did a quick concordance search concerning praying and nowhere did I find any mention of closing one's eyes during prayer?

So why does it seem compulsory these days to close one's eyes?

I was gonna say something witty, however, I'll say this instead. If we keep our eyes closed it puts us in a position of humility, quietness, prevents distraction and helps us to concentrate on what is being prayed for.

iouae

Thanks for the reply Grosnick.

In John 17:1 Jesus prayed lifting His eyes to heaven.

Is it not possible that closing eyes is just a tradition? So far I have not been able to find it's origins.

Nanja

When I'm awake I pray according to God's Will and offer Praise to Him throughout the day. Even in sleep I pray and offer Praise to God throughout the night.

So because I am a Child of God and are led by His Spirit Rom. 8:14,
my eyes open and close according to His Will, not mine Eph. 1:11; 3:20,
and I never even give it a thought! :)

~~~~~

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've been in many churches where the pastor intoned, "Every head bowed, every eye closed." That isn't a call in my Presbyterian home. Our little church has lovely stained glass windows. The more recent additions, behind the alter, were necessitated by a storm and were designed and created by my mother years and years ago. Two of the forward windows are clear, pre-civil war glass that warps a bit, but they give a lovely view of a meadow. I find them as comforting as great music and part of the experience.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
When I'm awake I pray according to God's Will and offer Praise to Him throughout the day. Even in sleep I pray and offer Praise to God throughout the night.

So because I am a Child of God and are led by His Spirit Rom. 8:14,
my eyes open and close according to His Will, not mine Eph. 1:11; 3:20,
and I never even give it a thought! :)

~~~~~
You're special

iouae

I've been in many churches where the pastor intoned, "Every head bowed, every eye closed." That isn't a call in my Presbyterian home. Our little church has lovely stained glass windows. The more recent additions, behind the alter, were necessitated by a storm and were designed and created by my mother years and years ago. Two of the forward windows are clear, pre-civil war glass that warps a bit, but they give a lovely view of a meadow. I find them as comforting as great music and part of the experience.

What you say in your first line is probably the issue I wish to address.

Closing eyes, holding hands, bowing heads creates a barrier to public prayer sometimes.

I like it when someone is talking to me, maybe in person or from the pulpit, and suddenly he is saying, eyes wide open, maybe looking at me, or looking up, something like "Father, please help solve this problem, because you have the power to, and you are gracious and full of love for us..." or whatever.

What I like about this is that at first you may even think he is still speaking to you, but then you realise he is speaking to the Heavenly Father. So, like it or not, you are now a partner in his prayer.

Most folks do not mind, particularly if he is praying about your problem which you have just told him about. Right there and then, without him having to say "I will pray for you" he IS praying for you.

iouae

Because I don't want to see God's lips when he says no.

No is an answer to prayer by the way, most Christians haven't figured that out.

All the great miracles in the Bible were done to further the Gospel, not to further personal, materialistic, selfish ambitions. So, as James says, we ask and receive not, because we ask amiss.

That said, when I approach God, I do it with the expectation of a "yes" from a gracious God. I have been in personal crises and emergencies, even life-threatening circumstances where I have cried out, and received help.

I was in a bicycle race not many years ago, and the crank of my bicycle fell off. I carried on walking, thanking God for His grace, knowing that he was going to help me finish the race. I came to a pickup truck where someone just happened to have a bicycle crank in the back, and he fixed my bike and I finished the race. The cherry on top was that I still beat my son to the finish, even after walking for 25 minutes. God just likes to show his kindness and glory to those who expect help from Him. Does not every child expect help from their parents, who are not half as benevolent as God?

exminister

Matthew 6:5-7

Perhaps it is related to the hypocrisy of boastful prayer in public where ones piety is on display.
I can't see that I am being seen with my eyes closed.
We all open our eyes at times in public prayer. Doesn't that put you focus on those around you instead?

iouae

Matthew 6:5-7

Perhaps it is related to the hypocrisy of boastful prayer in public where ones piety is on display.
I can't see that I am being seen with my eyes closed.
We all open our eyes at times in public prayer. Doesn't that put you focus on those around you instead?

Relative to your last sentence and the assumption that we can focus better with our eyes closed - humans manage to do the most complicated jobs, requiring intense focus, and they do this perfectly fine with their eyes open. Praying to God with eyes closed, IMO is NOT about focus, but rather a tradition. Jews pray at the Wailing Wall, eyes open, reading from a book, head bobbing. The guy from Fiddler on the Roof just spoke to God, eyes wide open, head looking skywards, saying "Would it foil some vast eternal plan, if I were a wealthy man?" etc.

I could make the opposite case that closing eyes can make one more sleepy. That said, most times I too pray with eyes closed, probably through habit.

Ps. I like the motorbike in your avatar.

Nanja

You're special

All God's Chosen People in Christ which He Loved before the foundation Eph. 1:4-5; 2 Tim. 1:9 are special to Him!

Deut. 7:6
For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

~~~~~

exminister

Relative to your last sentence and the assumption that we can focus better with our eyes closed - humans manage to do the most complicated jobs, requiring intense focus, and they do this perfectly fine with their eyes open. Praying to God with eyes closed, IMO is NOT about focus, but rather a tradition. Jews pray at the Wailing Wall, eyes open, reading from a book, head bobbing. The guy from Fiddler on the Roof just spoke to God, eyes wide open, head looking skywards, saying "Would it foil some vast eternal plan, if I were a wealthy man?" etc.

I could make the opposite case that closing eyes can make one more sleepy. That said, most times I too pray with eyes closed, probably through habit.

Ps. I like the motorbike in your avatar.

I agree it's just traditional. No rule either way. Whatever is best for you at the time.
I found this link you might like
http://www.liesyoungwomenbelieve.com/do-i-have-to-close-my-eyes-when-i-pray/

:zoomin: Thanks.

iouae