WARNINGS RELATING TO HOSPITAL STAYS.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I was recently admitted to a Hospital for complications I had after a surgery. I spent three and a half days there, yet, only got about six or so hours of sleep and basically nothing to eat the whole time I was there. It's extremely difficult to get good sleep in a Hospital environment. Nurses are running in and out of your room, taking your 'vitals.' (Blood pressure, temperature, etc.) A close family friend stayed with me the whole time. Thank God she was allowed to stay because I don't do well alone in that sort of environment. The majority of Nurses and other assistants were, professional, caring, kind, and respectful.

However, there were three 'Nurses' that were not exactly kind, professional, caring, and respectful. One 'night Nurse' tried to explain something to me and got very annoyed when I didn't quite get what he was telling me. He walked away in an angry huff. He came back later and yelled at me for no good reason. Therefore, I told him, in no uncertain terms, I would not need any future assistance from him, and he never returned. The 'head Nurse' on another occasion, questioned my sanity (For no apparent reason) right in front of my family friend, by asking me some rather odd questions.

Her first question was: "Do you know where you are?" The second question was equally peculiar. She began to ask about two of my recent Doctors appointments, (To see if I knew the details, etc, I would assume?) but, before she could finish her 'bizarre line of questioning,' my Family friend asked her WHY she was asking these strange questions. She tried to explain her reasoning, however, she was unable to articulate the real purpose. (Whatever it was?) The last day I was there we were in the process of being discharged from the Hospital, they only needed the paperwork from the Doctor. We sat there for a few hours and finally asked when we could leave. The discharge papers still had not arrived according to the Nurses. My friend told them she'd call the Doctors office to see what the 'hold up' was. Suddenly, a very strange Nurse came rushing into the room, (While my friend was calling the Doctors office) demanding that she be able to listen to my heartbeat,even though we told her we were being discharged and done.

I told her to wait and see what the Doctor had to say and she continued to demand to check my heartbeat. And, pressed hard on one of my incisions, so I automatically, slightly grabbed her wrist and moved it away from my 'painful incisions.' She told me that, "You assaulted me!" My friend told her, "He doesn't want you to touch those 'painful areas." I apologized, however, she did not accept my apology and was still very upset with me. Then, she went out into the hallway and immediately said, "The discharge papers are here." The papers 'miraculously' appeared. However, my friend and I kind of thought they had been there for a while?

My theory is, the reason she wanted to 'check me over' was because the staff was changing over and they wanted to charge my Insurance an extra day.

If you ever have to be in the Hospital for any reason:

1) Make sure you have a family member or friend stay with you.
2) If you're being disrespected by a Nurse, ask for another Nurse.
3) Understand that you won't be getting much sleep.
4) Some of the Nurses etc are not as professional as others.
5) Be prepared to have the Nurses etc take control of your life while you're there.
6) Don't expect a Nurse to come running when you push the button. You could end up waiting
45 minutes or more.
7) The bathrooms may or may not be sanitary and kept clean.
8) Some Nurses are not as kind as others.
9) You'll have someone else dispensing your regular medications, and they may not allow you
to take your medications at the same time you do at home.
10)Some staff members have 'anger issues' and will not be patient with you.
11)The 'discharge' make take longer than you expect.
12)Be prepared to be uncomfortable during your stay.
13)A Hospital environment will affect you: Emotionally, physically, and mentally.
14)I must reiterate, remember to ask a friend or family member to stay with you every day you're there. Don't go it alone.

Does anybody else have a 'Hospital story' you want to share? It may help someone else and prepare them for their stay at the Hospital.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The "do you know where you are" is fairly standard. I was hospitalized a year ago for approximately half a week and every nurse who came in to take my vitals and blood draws would ask me questions such as "do you know where you are? "What's your name?" "DOB"? They need to make sure that medical condition or medication isn't adversely affecting the patient.

One thing that is a good idea if you have the chance is to put all your medications in a baggy and take them with you. That way, if you are stuck there, they can dispense *your* meds rather than charging you for them.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The "do you know where you are" is fairly standard. I was hospitalized a year ago for approximately half a week and every nurse who came in to take my vitals and blood draws would ask me questions such as "do you know where you are? "What's your name?" "DOB"? They need to make sure that medical condition or medication isn't adversely affecting the patient.

One thing that is a good idea if you have the chance is to put all your medications in a baggy and take them with you. That way, if you are stuck there, they can dispense *your* meds rather than charging you for them.

Good post. Good, advise.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...One thing that is a good idea if you have the chance is to put all your medications in a baggy and take them with you. That way, if you are stuck there, they can dispense *your* meds rather than charging you for them.
What a great idea. I am sort of surprised they will do that. Good to know.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I spent a week in the hospital seven years ago, when I lost my kidney to cancer. As far as I remember all the nurses were good to me. I think that is because I keep them laughing. My only bad recollection about the whole thing is that the doctor kept me on a clear liquid diet until I had a BM,which pretty much meant I didn't eat all week.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What a great idea. I am sort of surprised they will do that. Good to know.

Yeah, it doesn't cut the costs down much, but every little bit helps. BTW, welcome back, Delmar!