THE GREAT ADVANCEMENT

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
For many years I bragged about the idea that I would never, use a computer. I used to tell people: "I don't even know how to turn one on." Then, in about 2007-2008 my sister offered me one of those 'Tower Computers.' After she gave it to me, I went on Dial-up Internet Access and then, I had to learn from scratch how to use the darn thing. When I moved to another state, a good friend of mine purchased me my first Laptop, and it was quite an improvement. My Son, who is in his early 40s is so fast on the keyboard I can barely see his fingers moving, whereas, I'm kind of stuck in mid-range speed, or less. When I first started out, I just pecked at the keyboard like a Woodpecker with Alzheimer's.

To this day I haven't really pushed myself to advance my Laptop skills. I'm retired and don't really need to use my Laptop for anything other than recreational endeavors. If not for my excursions into the realm of opining on this Forum, I probably would be merely, viewing the latest news, looking up old trivia, relating to old movies and actors, and perusing articles relating to health issues. I've tried other Forums, however, oftentimes, they have too stringent of rules and regulations that don't allow for much freedom to express one's self. Anyway, that's how I was introduced to the amazing world of Computer savviness.

How were you introduced to your Computer?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My trek started after 2002.
Had never has a computer till then.
My late husband had passed and I moved to my sister's house because she became very ill and needed 24 hour care.
That left me practically home-bound, and was unable to find a local church to attend.
My niece had left an old computer of hers at my sister's house and she looked up some sites that I could study and fellowship with.
TOL was one of the top sites listed at the time, and she helped me sign in and gave me her e-mail to use until I could establish my own.

And the rest is history.
And I still love this place!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
My trek started after 2002.
Had never has a computer till then.
My late husband had passed and I moved to my sister's house because she became very ill and needed 24 hour care.
That left me practically home-bound, and was unable to find a local church to attend.
My niece had left an old computer of hers at my sister's house and she looked up some sites that I could study and fellowship with.
TOL was one of the top sites listed at the time, and she helped me sign in and gave me her e-mail to use until I could establish my own.

And the rest is history.
And I still love this place!

And, you're not only one of the TOP posters on TOL, you happen to have the HIGHEST Pos-reps. Good for you.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And, you're not only one of the TOP posters on TOL,
Hardly a day goes by that I don't participate on TOL.
It's become part of my daily routine.

you happen to have the HIGHEST Pos-reps. Good for you.
That started out as a joke when we first got a new rep system.
I remember the sparks flying and people crying 'foul' and 'rigged'.
And to push the joke even further, I made several over-the-top bragging comments about me being #1!!!!!
And then sat back and watched some folks get infuriated over it.
It was so over-the-top bizarre that I even folks that couldn't stand me were giving me pos reps just to watch the entertainment and laughing about it.

This place can be a blast if you don't take things too seriously.

I don't know how things would have been if it had been someone else that was pushed to the top, and how folks would have responded to them over it.

Right Divider

Body part
I studied electronics back in the late '70's and learned software development on the job a few years after that. This was back when things were pretty low-level and close to the hardware.

So I've been a computer geek from way back. I'm the guy that all my friends ask to look at their computer when something goes wrong. :DK::first::french:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I studied electronics back in the late '70's and learned software development on the job a few years after that. This was back when things were pretty low-level and close to the hardware.

So I've been a computer geek from way back. I'm the guy that all my friends ask to look at their computer when something goes wrong. :DK::first::french:

I co-teached Computer Data Analysis to doctoral students and now it seems unimaginable!

now I have dementia and have trouble getting online.:confused:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

And to push the joke even further, I made several over-the-top bragging comments about me being #1!!!!!
It was so over-the-top bizarre that I even folks that couldn't stand me were giving me pos reps just to watch the entertainment and laughing about it.

I don't know how things would have been if it had been someone else that was pushed to the top, and how folks would have responded to them over it.

thought it was extra fun and not all that serious.

Top Kat

john w

Hall of Fame
For many years I bragged about the idea that I would never, use a computer. I used to tell people: "I don't even know how to turn one on." Then, in about 2007-2008 my sister offered me one of those 'Tower Computers.' After she gave it to me, I went on Dial-up Internet Access and then, I had to learn from scratch how to use the darn thing. When I moved to another state, a good friend of mine purchased me my first Laptop, and it was quite an improvement. My Son, who is in his early 40s is so fast on the keyboard I can barely see his fingers moving, whereas, I'm kind of stuck in mid-range speed, or less. When I first started out, I just pecked at the keyboard like a Woodpecker with Alzheimer's.

To this day I haven't really pushed myself to advance my Laptop skills. I'm retired and don't really need to use my Laptop for anything other than recreational endeavors. If not for my excursions into the realm of opining on this Forum, I probably would be merely, viewing the latest news, looking up old trivia, relating to old movies and actors, and perusing articles relating to health issues. I've tried other Forums, however, oftentimes, they have too stringent of rules and regulations that don't allow for much freedom to express one's self. Anyway, that's how I was introduced to the amazing world of Computer savviness.

How were you introduced to your Computer?

After having a case of "Natty Lights," watching video cassettes on my Beta Max VCR, and playing Atari "Pong."

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Better you, than some of the others.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Better you than some of the others.

glorydaz

I didn't want to do it. I fought it every step of the way, but one sister gave me a computer so I could play chess on Chess Master, and another sister had a forum she talked me into posting on. When I got a bit more comfortable, I searched out Christian forums, and got kicked off one before finding this one. And here I remain. :wave:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I didn't want to do it. I fought it every step of the way, but one sister gave me a computer so I could play chess on Chess Master, and another sister had a forum she talked me into posting on. When I got a bit more comfortable, I searched out Christian forums, and got kicked off one before finding this one. And here I remain. :wave:

You and me, both.