Selaphiel's post of the day for Zippy2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selaphiel

Traditio said:
zippy2006 said:
Not impossible because we have God to thank for these things. Nothing is impossible with God.
Those words don't mean anything.

Traditio said:
zippy2006 said:
The philosophers only think about themselves and how they can reach God, whereas a Christian thinks of God and His grace: how He reaches us.

I think it was Huston Smith who said that most religion is man's search for God, but Christianity is God's search for man.
None of those words make sense to me.

God came down to us. It doesn't matter what we know or what we are capable of knowing, because our Maker can give us the light that we need. The most apparent thing in the 21st century that Christ saves us from is despair. The despair of having no morals, of having no beliefs, of having no purpose. Of caring more about the daily soap operas or the celebrity gossip than about our own lives or those of our friends. Your soap opera is philosophy. You live in despair and then when the next philosopher comes along you pep up and start talking about how he had everything figured out and how everything is changed by what he said. Then you eventually forget or fail to care and fall into despair again until the next soap opera comes on.

It's no different than the woman you referred to who gossips and talks about anything and everything and can't stand silence. We are all fallen; your philosophical knowledge gives you nothing over the seemingly more banal desperate housewife. In fact she may have an edge because it is easier to see through the thin veneer of her facade, whereas you actually trick yourself into believing that the philosophical and intellectual knowledge is worth something in comparison to God while at the same time building up a wall of pride and looking down on the desperate housewife.

"Because Jesus said so" should weigh heavily if you are a Christian. See what happens if you continue to follow Plato and Plotinus rather than Christ. And it isn't that everything they say is false or misleading, but you are putting them before God and mixing up some very important priorities. You know something they didn't. Use it.

Jn 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

:first:

Status
Not open for further replies.