On Rape

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
a good way to kick this off - we've been studying the feminist perspective and rape culture this semester

wiki said:
Rape culture

In feminist theory, rape culture is a setting in which rape is pervasive and normalized due to societal attitudes about gender and sexuality.[1][2]

The sociology of rape culture is studied academically by feminists, but there is disagreement over what defines a rape culture and as to whether any given societies meet the criteria to be considered a rape culture.[3] Behaviors commonly associated with rape culture include victim blaming, sexual objectification, trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence, or some combination of these.[4] The notion of rape culture has been used to describe and explain behavior within social groups, including prison rape, and in conflict areas where war rape is used as psychological warfare. Entire societies have been alleged to be rape cultures.[3][5][6][7][8]

Question - is rape, in the US, pervasive and normalized ?

btw - this is a continuation of a discussion that started over here

ok doser

responses moved over here:

yes, i realize it's a provocative statement that will generate an emotional response devoid of rational analysis

from your comment "it's violent thought towards women", i see it's already begun

not sure i'm up to dealing with stupidity at the moment, as I'm about to log off and go home

i'll come back to this tomorrow, either here or in a new thread

anna demonstrates with an emotional outburst:
Yep, you're still a pathetic sack of crap.

:chuckle:

and another:
I don't think it's possible for a pathetic sack of crap to be rational, knowledgeable and astute. Provocative, maybe. Depends which way the wind is blowing.

You are basically indicting women as the cause of a violent act.

yep

cb said:
How does that not compute to "violence against women"?

vi·o·lence

behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

because I'm talking about it :duh:

cb said:
I'm getting more "rationally" steamed by the second.

which is a predictably emotional response :thumb:

I appreciate that you responded to his post.

Given the brief answer he gave me, he'll probably quote stats on the number of false rape reports.

I may, eventually

cb said:
Or, just to be sure he sounds "rational", he will have us consider the provocative manner in which many women dress, or the many other "behaviors" that lead women to be raped.

those are certainly contributory factors that women can choose or choose not to adopt

predictably, anna responds emotionally:
He's already set up his little scenario by framing his expectations for "an emotional response." I can pretty much guarantee he'll come back with a :rotfl: and something along the lines of "emo," "exactly what I predicted," "silly little girl" and "retard" to throw out a few of his favorites. Not realizing, of course, that he'll expend a lot more emotion investing in his response.

or perhaps i'll just laugh at your predictable response :chuckle:

anna said:
This is the troll who called murdered students cowards.

not all of them

just the ones who displayed ignoble fear or want of courage in the face of danger, pain, or difficulty

and one more emotional outburst from anna:
anna said:
He's primordial ooze with a keyboard.

there there anna, dry your tears

You got that right. If I were a Mod, he'd be on hiatus.

you'd ban me for initiating a discussion about a topic that you may find distressful?

why?

Cedarbay

This is not an academic discussion. I'm not interested in responding to a wiki post.

Yes or No

Do you think a grandmother, who is brutally beaten and raped, is responsible for that rape?

BTW - this was a headliner in our paper recently.

Now remember your initial statement and I quote, "rape is a choice that women make".

alwight

Question - is rape, in the US, pervasive and normalized ?
Even if that were true nationally or culturally, individuals can't do much to change that and don't therefore become somehow individually culpable or complicit if raped.
The real question here is about individuals who actually don't seek to be violated and not whether by some philosophical argument rape has become somehow normal or endemic.
Individual women typically follow cultural norms but surely they are no more acquiescing to be raped than cyclists are acquiescing to be run down because they ventured out on public roads?

bybee

This is not an academic discussion. I'm not interested in responding to a wiki post.

Yes or No

Do you think a grandmother, who is brutally beaten and raped, is responsible for that rape?

BTW - this was a headliner in our paper recently.

Now remember your initial statement and I quote, "rape is a choice that women make".

Let us not forget that little boys, young men and older men are also victims of rape.
No rational person wants or invites violence against his/her person.
Might one posit that a male body builder is asking to be raped because he has made himself attractive?
A man who must resort to rape to achieve sexual satisfaction is a very dangerous person.

Cedarbay

Let us not forget that little boys, young men and older men are also victims of rape.
No rational person wants or invites violence against his/her person.
Might one posit that a male body builder is asking to be raped because he has made himself attractive?
A man who must resort to rape to achieve sexual satisfaction is a very dangerous person.
Not sure why the thumbs down, bybee.

The OP is specifically targeting women with his vile statement that, "rape is a choice women make".

Obviously child-rape is especially heinous.

glorydaz

a good way to kick this off - we've been studying the feminist perspective and rape culture this semester

There ya go. Much better than claiming you didn't mean to say it, or you didn't say it because you didn't mean it that way. And much better than claiming those guys are just picking on you and bullying you and are out to get you.

Hey diddle diddle right up the middle, Res. None of this hiding behind mama's skirt. :thumb:

Cedarbay

There ya go. Much better than claiming you didn't mean to say it, or you didn't say it because you didn't mean it that way. And much better than claiming those guys are just picking on you and bullying you and are out to get you.

Hey diddle diddle right up the middle, Res. None of this hiding behind mama's skirt. :thumb:
+rep

Well done.

ok doser

Back to the thread:

Waiting for a response.

In addition:

Do you believe all rape is the womans fault?

If yes, why?

What (and be specific) makes you believe that she brings it on.

Thanks.

Bingo! :first:

give that woman a kewpie doll!

ok doser

a woman lying in a hospital bed, in a coma, is raped (think Kill Bill)

is she responsible?

would it shock you if i told you that i could argue yes?

ok doser

Since ive never seen kill bill, youll have to be more specific.

typical quenton tarantino bloodfest - the protagonist lies in a coma for years, during which time she is raped by a hospital orderly and those he charges for the pleasure

it ends up badly for the last guy when she comes out of the coma

and the orderly

and everybody else who wronged her

hate to do this, but I gotta run :wave: