Live like you DON'T know the day and the hour

iouae

I heard an excellent sermon by Wayne Malcolm (TBN in Africa) on why we should live like we don't know the day and the hour of Christ's return.

He started out in Jer 29 telling how God had taken Israel into Babylonian captivity, and Jeremiah told the Israelites they would be there for 70 years, so plant vineyards, and pray for the peace of the cities they were living in.

Then along comes a false prophet Shemaiah the Nehelamite, who tells the Israelites in Babylon, that they would soon be out of there.

He likened this to how he (Wayne) had lived for 10 years as if Christ were to return at any time. It is like living with your bags packed. There is no sense of legacy, of planting vineyards or fruit trees, no planning for your children and grandchildren, and hardly engaging with the society you live in, or trying to improve it.

Having lived likewise, it is a very unwise way to live. And here we are, still here.
Those who planned for their future, perhaps planted a fruit tree, are now eating the fruit of that tree. Perhaps they are leaders in their communities, and actively trying to improve the community, since they may be destined to be living in the community for a long time.

Perhaps the best way to prepare for the end time is to live like you don't know the day and hour, and perhaps it is best to plan for the longer term.

I loved his sermon because I have not heard one like it before. Have you ever heard a sermon to this effect?

WatchmanOnTheWall

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. Martin Luther

Daniel knew that those 70 years were about to end and prayed:

Daniel 9
1In the first year of Darius son of Xerxesa (a Mede by descent), who was made ruler over the Babylonian kingdom— 2in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the Scriptures, according to the word of the Lord given to Jeremiah the prophet, that the desolation of Jerusalem would last seventy years. 3So I turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.

Gabriel then appears and tells Daniel that the Messiah (meaning anointed one) will come to Jerusalem after 483 years from when an order would be given to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem:

Daniel 9:25
"Know and understand this: From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven 'sevens,' and sixty-two 'sevens.' It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble.

Daniel died a very rich man not long after this and left a great fortune to his friends as he had no family, his friends were the likes of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego who were also wise men:

Daniel 2
48Then the king placed Daniel in a high position and lavished many gifts on him. He made him ruler over the entire province of Babylon and placed him in charge of all its wise men. 49Moreover, at Daniel’s request the king appointed Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego administrators over the province of Babylon, while Daniel himself remained at the royal court.

While many Jews returned to Jerusalem after the 70 years many chose to stay in Babylon including many of the wise men like Daniel. Darius later died in the 21st year of his reign and his son Artaxerxes became king. Then in Artaxerxes 20th year in the month of Nissan (Aviv) he gave an order to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. The prophesy had begun and the wise men continued to wait, generation after generation. Then about 30 years before the prophesy was about to be fulfilled the wise men began to notice a number of astronomical events that were fulling scripture because the wise men included astronomers:

Daniel 10:10-12
10 The astrologers answered the king, “There is no one on earth who can do what the king asks! No king, however great and mighty, has ever asked such a thing of any magician or enchanter or astrologer. 11 What the king asks is too difficult. No one can reveal it to the king except the gods, and they do not live among humans.” 12 This made the king so angry, and furious that he ordered the execution of all the wise men of Babylon.

The first astronomical event was a triple conjunction of the king planet Jupiter, over the king star Regulus, in the king constellation of Leo (during retrograde motion), on the 14/9/3BC, 17/2/2BC & 8/5/2BC, right over Jerusalem in the east. They had never seen this before because it only happens about every 90 years.

The next astronomical event was the occulation of the king planet Jupiter and the mother planet Venus on the 17/6/2BC when they appeared to touch each other and formed the brightest star ever seen from the middle east in all of human history and again it was right over Jerusalem. This fulfilled the following prophesys:

Psalm 65:8
Those living far away fear your wonders; where morning dawns and evening fades you call forth songs of joy.

Numbers 24:17
I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near. A star will come out of Jacob; a sceptre will rise out of Israel.

Genesis 49:9-10
9 You are a lion’s cub, Judah; you return from the prey, my son. Like a lion he crouches, and lies down, like a lioness, who dares to rouse him? 10 The sceptre will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet. He will crush the foreheads of Moab, the skulls of all the people of Sheth.

(Regulus is between the feet of Leo)

This is what set the wise men on their way to worship the one who was to be born the king of the Jews:

Matthew 2:1-2
1 After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw His star when it rose, and have come to worship him.”

While they had been travelling to Jerusalem Jupiter had progressed in the nights sky and appeared to stop over Bethlehem (as seen from Jerusalem) in another retrograde motion:

Matthew 2:9-11
9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose, went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down, and worshipped him. Then they opened their treasures, and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Jesus was a 15 month old child now and Jupiter had appeared to stop for 6 days 22-30/12/2BC (Christmas) which was also Hanukkah.

30 years later at Aviv 29BC exactly 483 years from when the order to rebuild the walls were given, Jesus enter Jerusalem and over turned the tables and drove out the animals at the beginning of His ministry.

Daniel was given the date of Jesus' first coming and was a date setter.

The Bible also tell us when His second coming will be too:

1 Thessalonians 5:4 – “You’re not in darkness for that day to surprise you like a thief.”

And:

Amos 3:7 – Surely the Sovereign LORD does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets.

And:

Deuteronomy 16:16 – Three times a year all your men must appear before the LORD your God at the place he will choose:

Passover : Fulfilled by Jesus

Pentecost : Fulfilled by Jesus

Tabernacles : To be Fulfilled…

Jesus actually fulfilled 10 out of 12 Jewish Holy days and is beyond coincidence. Therefore He must return on the ones He has yet to fulfil, this will be the Day of Atonement and the Feast of Tabernacles that celebrates the harvest. Many know it as Harvest festival and it alludes to the great harvest of souls at the end of age. I hope and pray you can see and believe this and will not be like the Jews who missed His first coming by not recognising all the signs.

When Jesus said ‘no one knows the day’ He said it in the present tense, He did not say no one would ever know (Amos 3:7) and Jesus also alluded to the fact that He would fulfil Tabernacles at a later time:

John 7:2 & 8 – But when the Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, [Jesus said] “You go to the festival. I am not going up to this festival, because my time has not yet fully come.”

Jesus then purposefully misses the feast of Tabernacles which is on day 15 of month 7 and lasts 8 days. However, Jesus does turn up after having deliberately missed this specific day:

John 7:10 & 14 – But after his brothers had gone up to the feast, then Jesus also went up, not publicly but in secret. About halfway through the feast Jesus went up into the temple and began teaching.

You can find out when Jesus is coming here:
http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...-in-2022-and-Jesus-returns-in-2029&highlight=

iouae

Rom 12:1
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Being a living sacrifice means to live a life of SUSTAINABLE Christianity.
I personally hate gun-lap theology where one is told one is in the last lap, so you give it all you have got, only to find there are many more laps, and now you are exhausted.

I believe one corner man did that to his boxer, told him it was the last round, that he needed to give it everything, when it was not the last round.

While we should be radical Christians, that does not prevent us from living moderate lives and doing things in moderation.

In particular I want to say, when you give money to good causes, make sure you can afford it and sustain it. Do not get yourself in trouble to make some fat ministry fatter.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jonathan Edwards Resolutions

Jonathan Edwards Resolutions

I am to live each day as if it is the last.

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father" (Matthew 24:26)

Indeed.

Edwards's resolution of time management immediately came to my mind:

7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.
Src: http://edwards.yale.edu/archive?pat...waGlsby9nZXRvYmplY3QucGw/Yy4xNTo3NDoxLndqZW8=

See an attempt to categorize all of Edwards' resolutions here:
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/the-resolutions-of-jonathan-edwards

AMR