Theology Club: 'In Christ' Before Me

Jerry Shugart

In the following verse Paul speaks of Christians who were "in Christ" Before he was:

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me"
(Ro.16:7).​

It is not difficult to understand that when Paul uses the words "in Christ" he is referring to being in the Body of Christ, as witnessed what he said here:

"For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another" (Ro.12:4-5).​

We can also know that when Paul speaks of others being "in Christ" the term "in Christ" always means the same thing:

"Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new"
(2 Cor.5:16-17).​

Of course the "new creation" is the New Man, the Body of Christ which Paul speaks of here:

"For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby" (Eph.2:14-16).​

Cornelius Stam, the founder of the Berean Bible Society, wrote the following about the words "new creation":

"This 'new creation,' this 'one new man,' this 'joint body,' formed of Jews and Gentiles made one in Christ, is called 'His body, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all' (Eph. 1:23)" (Stam, True Spirituality [Berean Literature Foundation, 1984], 48,50).​

Therefore, we can understand that there is evidence that other Christians were baptized into the Body of Christ before Paul was and those Christians had to be Jewish believers such as the Twelve. Therefore, it is plain that the Hebrew epistles were written to Christians who were members of the Body of Christ.

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

Let us look at the following verse which the MAD's on this forum have not made a response on this thread:

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me" (Ro.16:7).​

Paul Sadler, the past President of the Berean Bible Society, says that the words "in Christ" in that verse means redeemed "in Christ.":

https://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=JFM2FMNU

The problem wit this is no one is "redeemed" in Christ because the Scriptures reveal that people are redeemed "through" His blood:

"In whom we have redemption through (dia) his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace" (Eph.1:7).​

The Greek word dia means: "of the Means or Instrument by which anything is effected; because what is done by means of a person or thing seems to pass as it were 'through' the same" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

Now let us look at the following verse again:

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in (en) Christ before me" (Ro.16:7).​

The primary meaning of the Greek word en is "in the interior of some whole" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

That matches perfectly with the idea of being in the Body of Christ, being "in Christ." It does not express the idea of anyone being redeemed through the blood of Christ Jesus.

At another place, Paul makes it plain that when the words "in Christ" are used it is in regard to the Body of Christ:

"So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another" (Ro.12:5).​

Last edited:

Jerry Shugart

There is even more evidence that the phrases "in Christ" and "in Christ Jesus" are referring to being in the Body of Christ. Here we read that Christians are "sanctified in Christ Jesus":

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's" (1 Cor.1:2).​

We also read that believers are "sanctified by the Holy Spirit:

"that I might be a minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering of the Gentiles might be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit" (Ro.15:16).​

In this instance the Greek word translated "sanctification" means "consecrated, or set apart as holy to God in (by union with) Christ Jesus" (A. R. Faussett).

This is how the Holy Spirit sets apart those He sanctifies:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit"
(1 Cor.12:13).​

Even though we read that "if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation" there are many people within the Mid Acts community who say that those who Paul says were "in Christ" before he was were not a New Creation, the New Man, the Body of Christ.

However, the Scriptures will be searched in vain for any instance where Paul uses the term "in Christ" in any other way that to denote those who are in the Body of Christ. It is inconceivable that Paul would use the phrase "in Christ" indiscriminately, sometimes applying it to the Body of Christ and sometimes not. That would lead to nothing but confusion and God is not the author of confusion.

Notice that there has not even been one MADist who posts on this forum who has even attempted to defend their teaching that Paul was the first member of the Body of Christ.

DAN P

in Christ redemptively not in the BoC

Paul was the first in the BoC for a pattern!

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Hi and for a PATTERN is right on !!

There is a difference between " in Christ " and being " in Christ Jesus "

Those in " in Christ " are those in Rom 16:7-15 and in verse 13 , Paul's mother is mentioned !!

When we see the phrase " in Christ Jesus " is His resurrected name !!

We see from 1 Cor 15:8 that they were separate from the 12 as they are BORN IN DUE TIME !!

Paul is BORN OUT OF DUE TIME !!

Just and other proof of the Acts 9 , POSITION !!

dan p

Jerry Shugart

Let us look at the following verse which the MAD's on this forum have not made a response on this thread:

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me" (Ro.16:7).​

Paul Sadler, the past President of the Berean Bible Society, says that the words "in Christ" in that verse means redeemed "in Christ.":

https://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=JFM2FMNU

The problem wit this is no one is "redeemed" in Christ because the Scriptures reveal that people are redeemed "through" His blood:

"In whom we have redemption through (dia) his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace" (Eph.1:7).​

The Greek word dia means: "of the Means or Instrument by which anything is effected; because what is done by means of a person or thing seems to pass as it were 'through' the same" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

Now let us look at the following verse again:

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in (en) Christ before me" (Ro.16:7).​

The primary meaning of the Greek word en is "in the interior of some whole" (Thayer's Greek English Lexicon).

That matches perfectly with the idea of being in the Body of Christ, being "in Christ." It does not express the idea of anyone being redeemed through the blood of Christ Jesus.

At another place, Paul makes it plain that when the words "in Christ" are used it is in regard to the Body of Christ:

"So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another" (Ro.12:5).​

beloved57

[h=2]'In Christ' Before Me[/h]<ins class="adsbygoogle" data-ad-client="ca-pub-3016814245862061" data-ad-slot="2035093955" data-adsbygoogle-status="done" style="text-decoration-line: none; display: inline-block; width: 300px; height: 250px;"><ins id="aswift_1_expand" style="text-decoration-line: none; display: inline-table; border: none; height: 250px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 300px; background-color: transparent;"><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="text-decoration-line: none; display: block; border: none; height: 250px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 300px; background-color: transparent;"><iframe width="300" height="250" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" id="aswift_1" name="aswift_1" style="left: 0px; position: absolute; top: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; width: 300px; height: 250px;"></iframe></ins></ins></ins>
In the following verse Paul speaks of Christians who were "in Christ" Before he was:

"Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me"
(Ro.16:7).

Just means they were believers before him. All saved people were chosen in Christ before the foundation and were given purpose and grace in Christ Jesus before the world began 2 Tim 1:9

However all dont become believers at the same time, which manifests that they always have been in Him.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Just means they were believers before him. All saved people were chosen in Christ before the foundation and were given purpose and grace in Christ Jesus before the world began 2 Tim 1:9

However all dont become believers at the same time, which manifests that they always have been in Him.

Nonsense!
Christ is the LORD's chosen/elect from before the foundation of the world and those that believe into Him are elect/chosen only because they are in Him/Christ.

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

way 2 go

so many errors but I will address that one quoted above.

different branches same root.

Jer 18:9 And if at any time I declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it,
Jer 18:10 and if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will relent of the good that I had intended to do to it.

Luk 13:7 And he said to the vinedresser, 'Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?'
Luk 13:8 And he answered him, 'Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure.
Luk 13:9 Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.'"

Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and became a sharer of the root and the fatness of the olive tree with them,

Last edited:

beloved57

Nonsense!
Christ is the LORD's chosen/elect from before the foundation of the world and those that believe into Him are elect/chosen only because they are in Him/Christ.

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
You aren't making sense

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Jerry Shugart

so many errors but I will address that one quoted above.

different branches same root.

You have not demonstrated that when Paul used the words "in Christ" those words can have two different meanings!

Your theology is not based on the Scriptures but instead on what some people say about the Scriptures.

That explains why you mentioned the Olive Tree and then didn't give any proof that that supports your false teaching.

way 2 go

You have not demonstrated that when Paul used the words "in Christ" those words can have two different meanings!
in Christ has 1 meaning which is :
in Christ

Your theology is not based on the Scriptures but instead on what some people say about the Scriptures.
ad hominem
That explains why you mentioned the Olive Tree and then didn't give any proof that that supports your false teaching.
Jesus Christ did not change , the dispensation did .