Free speech has become white supremacy

kmoney

Hall of Fame

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-protests-idUSKCN1B514X

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A free-speech rally planned for San Francisco this weekend that local leaders had urged residents to boycott as dangerous and “white supremacist” was canceled on Friday by organizers who said that those comments had drawn extremists and made it unsafe.

The planned gathering by Patriot Prayer had been the centerpiece of a weekend of protests in the Bay Area that had raised concern among San Francisco police and elected officials two weeks after right-wing activists, including neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan, fought with anti-racism protesters in the streets of Charlottesville, Virginia.

Patriot Prayer founder Joey Gibson has vehemently denied that his group is extremist or white nationalist, saying that he is not even white and does not align himself with any party or cause.

“The rhetoric from Nancy Pelosi, Mayor Lee, the media, all these people are saying we’re white supremacists and its bringing in tons of extremists and it just seems like a huge set up,” Gibson said in a Facebook Live broadcast. “So we’re going to take the opportunity not to fall into that trap.”

Gibson said he would hold a press conference in San Francisco on Saturday afternoon to further explain his decision.

San Francisco city officials including Mayor Ed Lee had lobbied the National Park Service to deny a permit for Patriot Prayer to hold its event at Crissy Field, which is under federal control as part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

When that permit was granted on Wednesday, Lee told residents of San Francisco to essentially boycott the rally.

“I ask our public and our residents of the San Francisco Bay Area to honor our request to not dignify people who are coming in here under the guise of patriot and prayer words to really preach violence and hatred,” Lee told a press conference.

The mayor urged locals to instead attend city-hosted events on Friday and Saturday that he said would focus on “inclusion, compassion and love rather than hate.”

U.S. House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi, in a written statement, slammed the Patriot Prayer gathering as a dangerous “white supremacist rally.”

Left-wing counter-protesters, meanwhile, were planning a march to Crissy Field, where police were concerned a confrontation could erupt. San Francisco-based artist and designer Terrence Ryan, known professionally as Tuffy Tuffington, put out a call on Facebook for canine owners to litter the field beginning on Friday with dog poop ahead of the Patriot Prayer event.

The nonprofit Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups, does not classify Patriot Prayer as a hate group and reported on its website that Gibson denounced white supremacists and "neo-Nazis" at a rally in Seattle earlier this month.

On Sunday, conservative activists planned a so-called "No to Marxism" rally in nearby Berkeley, an event that left-wing groups were also expected to protest. However, city of Berkeley officials on Thursday denied that group's request for a rally permit.

:down:

Liberals will stand against neo-nazis but they won't stand WITH conservatives FOR free speech.

Don't let white supremacists own free speech. :DK:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Prayer

Patriot Prayer is an advocacy group who supports free speech and the first amendment.[1] The group's leader, Joey Gibson, denounced white supremacists before an August 2017 rally, saying "Don't show up, you're not welcome." He added, "What they're doing is using race to further their own agendas."[2]
The San Jose Mercury News describes Patriot Prayer as a "right-wing group ... [whose] events ... have attracted white supremacists and ended up in violent confrontations among demonstrators on both sides."[3]

glorydaz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Prayer

Patriot Prayer is an advocacy group who supports free speech and the first amendment.[1] The group's leader, Joey Gibson, denounced white supremacists before an August 2017 rally, saying "Don't show up, you're not welcome." He added, "What they're doing is using race to further their own agendas."[2]
The San Jose Mercury News describes Patriot Prayer as a "right-wing group ... [whose] events ... have attracted white supremacists and ended up in violent confrontations among demonstrators on both sides."[3]

There's another group claiming to be Rednecks, but they are anarchists just like Antifa is. These fringe groups claim to be against "white supremacists" because then they can blame white Trump supporters for every bit of violence. Trump's supporters are the only ones who aren't violent except the liberal screamers standing behind antifa.

glorydaz

:down:

Liberals will stand against neo-nazis but they won't stand WITH conservatives FOR free speech.

I heard the police commissioner in Charlottesville say these (in yellow) were "ANTI-FREE SPEECH" protesters.

The planned gathering by Patriot Prayer had been the centerpiece of a weekend of protests in the Bay Area that had raised concern among San Francisco police and elected officials two weeks after right-wing activists, including neo-Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan, fought with anti-racism protesters in the streets of Charlottesville, Virginia.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame

You should have saw this coming way back when liberal anti-free speechers were tearing down Berkley over a conservative speaker giving a lecture there, probably before that but, it is a shining example. This is par for the course really, people are for free speech when it is something they agree with, and against it when they disagree ideologically. It is a dawn of a new age in America where being a neo-fascist liberal is in vogue, personally I think it looks more like the age of ignorance. When people cannot listen to opposing points of view, and threaten violence for the same our once free society has just slipped further towards despotism & tyranny. Pathetic!

Sleekbacksmile

The Evidence Proves that Obama Supporters are Based on Adultery. Pure Anti Family Religions.

- Thousands of Catholic and Islamic immigrants Today are Caused by The Loose Living Family LIFESTYLE of Catholics and Muslims. That is not Just a Part of their Society, City, Village, Country or Island. But a Part of Their RELIGION.

They don't have or Raise Very Many People like Me and You, To Pay in The Thousands and Thousands of Dollars in taXes. People Who believe the Old and New Testament Religion Suggestions of Family importance, and Not Divorcing
Divorce and Fatherless Children is not such a Bad thing to Catholics And Muslims. And OBAMA SUPPORTERS Based on the Religion SETUP of their SYSTEMS. They are Truly ANTI FAMILY. Every Catholic and Muslim Country is filled with Children who have no Mommy, No Daddy no Family. Living together as a Family of ABRAHAMIC FAITH. While they PRETEND they Love Abraham, Jacob and FAMILY,... It is all FAKE Pretenses. Pretending.
The new African immigrants and refugees are From Islamic / Muslim and CATHOLIC Societies as well. They have no Family Value. In Fact , They are ANTI Family.
Catholics as well are PURE 100 % Anti Family. A Total Fatherless Society Strewn across the planet.
67% percent blacks are now born with no father to live at home; 66.2 percent of American Indians/Alaska Natives ; 53.3 percent of Hispanics.
Every year about one million more children are born into fatherless families.
The Roman Catholic and Islamic Role MODEL is a distant Priest, who hides all of His seXual (Homosexual or Heterosexual) All activities in the DARKNESS. Who has no Family, No Wife, and No CHILDREN? Nothing. But Secrets and Lies and Hidden agendas.

The priests and nuns life a secret seXual lifestyle and they are Considered to be Holy, Pure and Godly.
This Leaves Catholics thinking that they simply have to Hide their Fatherless children and own seXual adventures from others and they can be Like God too ..
The Role Model of the Hebrew Priest was a FAMILY MAN with Wives, Many, Many Children. A FAMILY UNIT. This was what the Children Look to as a PHYSICAL FAMILY eXample. Catholic Children are Taught that these priests are Role Models. yet They Themselves Live Like Distant Stars -

Do You know what a Star Does ? - A Star is Showing its Light From a Long, Long Distance away. You never Really get to see the Light until a long time has passed. So You never Really Get to Know anything about the Lives of People Who act like Stars. Bowing Down before them, Kneeling and Kissing Insane and Ferociously Reverently, Crying, Confessing, Slobbering and Stuttering in a Fever and Shaking in Emotional Convolution Fits to People - Who Are Worshiped.

The Popes, Priests and Nuns Who are Called FATHERS / MOTHERS.... But are not Fathers Nor Mothers. But they Have no Children. No Family. ! They Hide Everything They Do, Like Stars the Catholic People never are Allowed to see the True Face of these Holy, Revered People.
This has Destroyed the Entire Catholic World. Across the Entire Planet. A Complete Total Wave of eternal Poor Youth who are never Taught the King JAMES 1Ti 3:10 A Bishop and Deacon MUST be MARRIED. MUST HAVE CHILDREN / A FAMILY> !
The Catholic society of the World - are 100 % TOTAL - OBAMA SUPPORTERS
Not Just basic Countries , Cities , Towns , and Random Statistics of Villages who fall Below the Poverty Line because they Too - are having a Good time, Having a Late Night Out At the party, or the Club and can’t stop. This Type of Situations Such As Here in the Americas Can Easily be Handled By Folks Like Yourself or I .

Who have Saved our Money, Who believe the Bible IDEAOLOGY in Waiting to get married Before having 4 - 9 Children . Or before having any Children. There are Plenty of Americans, Russians, German and NON CATHOLISLAMIC People - Who still Clinging and Holding tight to the Bible IDEA of a Child Who has no Family - is so, so Horrible.

We can handle the OBAMA SUPPORTERS and Other - Even the few Percentage of protestant and Atheistic - and ALL - Poverty issues. around the Entire Planet and Even to the Galaxy. We Got it Covered.

CATHOLSLAMIC Societies have Nothing Covered. They are Not Taught To Be Concerned about anything but Finding a Way To Get You and me to Empty Our Pocket and Pay for them to have the next seXual Adventure. That they are Taught to Hide and Cover up. AS A RELIGION. Following their Priests and Bishops and Nuns.

We Can Pay our Family Planned SAVINGS - to Make up the Slack Here in America, To Make Up The Total Perversion of the OBAMA SUPPORTER Degrade.

Sleekbacksmile

I was going to also say that these people have every right to live how they want. They have full freedom.

But it is not My responsibility to Pay for their seXual adventures. nor Yours.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Doesn't feel like that kind of invitation.

Don't let white supremacists own free speech.
How can they?

I see some mileage is being given to the Southern Poverty Law Center not calling this a hate group. Okay, but what does it have to say about what it is and is up to? Why stop at what it isn't? Well, here's what the SPL has to say about this latest "free speech" promoting group:

[FONT=&quot]
Patriot Prayer is an antigovernment “Patriot” group based originally in Vancouver, Washington, and now in Portland, Oregon, that has organized a series of protests in the Pacific Northwest that have all been held in places that are established centers of liberal/left politics, all with the clear intent of attempting to provoke a violent response from far-left antifascists.

[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Gibson himself, while insisting he wants to spur dialogue, has given speeches at these events that flagrantly demonized liberals (he also has worn an Infowars “Hillary For Prison” shirt at events) and demonized Muslims.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

See, just not being associated with or courting racists shouldn't be the high bar here, kmo.

If we want groups to stand together in this moment, if that's the idea then it's not hard to achieve, but why should disparate groups "stand with" people who want to use the opportunity to promote their idea of what free speech should sound like? Especially given the track record of what that speech has been about.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Doesn't feel like that kind of invitation.
I don't know if there was any invitation at all.

How can they?

I see some mileage is being given to the Southern Poverty Law Center not calling this a hate group. Okay, but what does it have to say about what it is and is up to? Why stop at what it isn't? Well, here's what the SPL has to say about this latest "free speech" promoting group:

[FONT="][indent]Patriot Prayer is an antigovernment “Patriot” group based originally in Vancouver, Washington, and now in Portland, Oregon, that has organized a series of protests in the Pacific Northwest that have all been held in places that are established centers of liberal/left politics, all with the clear intent of attempting to provoke a violent response from far-left antifascists.

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT="]Gibson himself, while insisting he wants to spur dialogue, has given speeches at these events that flagrantly demonized liberals (he also has worn an Infowars “Hillary For Prison” shirt at events) and demonized Muslims.[/FONT]
[FONT="][/indent][/FONT]

See, just not being associated with or courting racists shouldn't be the high bar here, kmo.

If we want groups to stand together in this moment, if that's the idea then it's not hard to achieve, but why should disparate groups "stand with" people who want to use the opportunity to promote their idea of what free speech should sound like? Especially given the track record of what that speech has been about.

I wasn't trying to defend the group as a whole and I imagine I wouldn't generally support them. What I don't like is that "free speech" by conservatives has come to mean racism. The fight against this event wasn't about being mean to Hillary so I'm not concerned by what shirts he wears. There were accusations of hatred and racism, which doesn't appear to be true. He spoke against neo-nazis in a prior event and decided to cancel this one in an attempt to not be associated with them.

I know I mentioned standing with Gibson's group but that isn't really necessary. It could be as simple as ignoring it. It has become too common to shut down speech by crying racism.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wasn't trying to defend the group as a whole and I imagine I wouldn't generally support them.
I wouldn't think so (and didn't, to be clear).

What I don't like is that "free speech" by conservatives has come to mean racism.
I think it's more that racists and rabble rousing groups have clothed themselves in its appearance of free speech defenders that's the problem, kmo. Show me one of those groups promoting the other side and I'll accept and commend the advocacy.

Refusing to buy into that or support what those groups are actually doing with it shouldn't be seen as an unwillingness by liberals to support speech and, again, there's no real incentive for liberals to stand with conservatives who use the opportunity to demonize them, as Gibson has done.

The fight against this event wasn't about being mean to Hillary so I'm not concerned by what shirts he wears.
Now that wasn't up to your fairness standard, kmo. What preceded the shirt remark? And what does that shirt say about the sort of rhetoric he endorses? I don't for a minute think he just grabbed it off the shelf at Walmart. Not so trivial when you really consider it.

There were accusations of hatred and racism, which doesn't appear to be true.
I think demonizing a group of people is close enough to hatred. Isn't that what Trump did to Mexicans, by way of? I mean, he didn't stand there and say, "I hate Mexicans. Don't all you guys hate them too? Huge problem with the evil Mexicans. H U G E problem." Of course not. He demonized them and sprinkled in "a few good ones." But when you demonize the left who are you largely speaking about? I know it's not white middle class America. I don't have any reason to think he's racist and don't, but I do have reason to believe he sews aggressive division and a level of contempt that is precisely the problem I have with this president. And it serves those who do have racist mindsets, which is why you've seen people like that at his rallies, his feeling aside.

He spoke against neo-nazis in a prior event and decided to cancel this one in an attempt to not be associated with them.
Sure. And he's even dropped the F bomb publicly, at his rally, aimed at those groups. And the president has had a few strong words about racists recently, right?

I know I mentioned standing with Gibson's group but that isn't really necessary.
I don't even see how it's reasonable given his rhetorical habits.

It could be as simple as ignoring it. It has become too common to shut down speech by crying racism.
Sure. I don't support shutting down speech at all. But tell me, if the Klan was going to hold a rally in your town, would you show up to let the world know where you stand, peacefully? That's speech to celebrate too.

:cheers:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sounds like he asked a lot of kids who didn't know much and then, standing on their ignorance of history (most of them apparently only knew that Jefferson owned slaves) he advances the disbelieving, "You telling me that because Jefferson owned slaves all the founding fathers..."

The problem, other than the scholarship woes of his sample group, is that most of the gentlemen who set their signature to the Declaration of Independence were slave owners. That's right. Of the 56 signatories to that sacred, "All men are created equal" a majority owned another human being. Some by inheritance. A few gave them up.

Here's a link to an interesting Atlantic article that examines his practice from the right and Zimm's from the left in creatively reimagining history (aka-doing it badly) entitled Lies the Debunkers Told Me: How Bad History Books Win Us Over.

Here's a link to a research bit that notes the slave owning and minority, non-slave owning signers, along with source materials noted.

Last edited:

Interplanner

In San Fran, the free speech movement does not tolerate--and threatens with violence--anyone without its views.
So much for "tolerance" being the arch-value.

Interplanner

Sounds like he asked a lot of kids who didn't know much and then, standing on their ignorance of history (most of them apparently only knew that Jefferson owned slaves) he advances the disbelieving, "You telling me that because Jefferson owned slaves all the founding fathers..."

The problem, other than the scholarship woes of his sample group, is that most of the gentlemen who set their signature to the Declaration of Independence were slave owners. That's right. Of the 56 signatories to that sacred, "All men are created equal" a majority owned another human being. Some by inheritance. A few gave them up.

Here's a link to an interesting Atlantic article that examines his practice from the right and Zimm's from the left in creatively reimagining history (aka-doing it badly) entitled Lies the Debunkers Told Me: How Bad History Books Win Us Over.

Here's a link to a research bit that notes the slave owning and minority, non-slave owning signers, along with source materials noted.

Did the "research" address whether the slaves were treated so well that they wanted to stay after emancipation and what %s were like that?

Interplanner

A further example of how 'free speech' backfires into intolerance:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5552802105001/?#sp=show-clips

See my scope-of-work video (below). The professor probably meant the people who are the subject of my video. Even after the police deaths at Dallas, they took action against the student who said 'all lives matter.'

I think that instead of reacting to what a person says literally, he should be given a chance by the admin to speak professionally (in a column or official essay).