• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Creation Scientists

The Berean

Dr. Walt Brown
Ken Ham
Right Divider
JudgeRightly
By scientist I mean people who conduct actual scientific research. Dr. Brown would count. Ken Ham is not a creation scientist. He's a creation science writer and advocate but as far as I know he doesn't conduct any actual research. On a side note I met Ken Ham about 17 years ago at a dinner where he spoke. A very nice man.

GoodCat

I was wondering who are the leading creation scientists today?
The foremost scientists, who are believers, are not the ones listed.
Ken Ham Kenneth Alfred Ham is an Australian born Christian fundamentalist, young Earth creationist and apologist... He has but a bachelor's degree.
Walter T. Brown is a young Earth creationist, who is the director of his own ministry called the Center for Scientific Creation. He has a PhD from Mass Inst of Tech in mechanical engineering.
Hugh Ross is an old earth creationist, who started his own agency (www.reasons.org) Hugh Ross is a Canadian Astrophysicist, Christian apologist, and old Earth creationist. Ross obtained his Ph.D. in Astronomy from the University of Toronto

I personally am an old earth creationist - meaning that the scientific evidence for the age of the earth and universe is so strong. That does not mean that I think that humans have descended from apes or that human civilization is more than a few thousand years old.

I do not agree with theistic evolution, but I respect believers who hold to this position. In general, New Earth creationists are not fair to old earth believers. They way they put them down alarms me, and frankly turns me off. People should just be willing to listen to what other Christians think on this matter.

Oh, nuclear dating is very reliable, and there is no evidence that decay rates can or have changed over time.

Just wanted you guys to think about the fact that believers may have different views on creation, and still be devout believers, with a strong respect for God's Word... including yours truly. I'm old; I've spent thousands of hours reading, studying and memorizing God's Word. I do wholeheartedly believe it is inerrant and infallible. Some views:
Young Earth: Creation of everything happened from 6,000 to 10,000 years ago... There was no big bang, etc.
Day-Age: The 6 days of creation symbolically refer to periods of God's creation. Problem is they do not align with anything evolutionists hold to.
Progressive Creationism: Hugh Ross' position... similar to Day-age creationism, yet he has several different twists.
Framework: A view that the creation record in Genesis 1 & 2 is really a framework, which describes what God did, but not in chronological order. They note that the 1st 3 days describe forming, and days 4 - 6 describe filling what was formed in the first 3 days.
Theistic Evolution: A view that essentially God used evolution to accomplish creation.

I'm sure there are other views. My particular position is one of pan creationism... I'm not sure exactly how God did it, but I'm sure it will all pan out. There is much evidence of the age of the universe and the big bang as the starting point, as well as the age of the earth. The way I do view it is that God did not intend to try to give details of how precisely He created everything. He wanted it to be clear that there is but one God, and all things were created by Him. John 1: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into existence through Him and without Him nothing came into existence that has come into existence.

Note: Angels were created by God, yet nothing is said in Genesis about their creation.

BadDog (GoodCat)

Last edited:

GoodCat

Incidentally, the big bang is strong evidence for creation. It indicates clearly that the universe had a beginning... by some power outside of space and time, and with incredible power.

I agree with the Berean about Ken Ham.

BadDog

GoodCat

Expecting God to give great scientific details on how He created would be like expecting a brain surgeon to tell his young son details of how he operates. God's focus and concern was on the theology of it all.

GC

Right Divider

Body part
BTW, Hugh Ross is a true Astrophysicist, and well-respected in the field.

GC
Hugh Ross in only a creationist by definition of his own version of creationist. He rejects the Bible's version of creation and forces the Bible to agree with secular theories. Sorry, he's not really a creationist.

GoodCat

Hugh Ross in only a creationist by definition of his own version of creationist. He rejects the Bible's version of creation and forces the Bible to agree with secular theories. Sorry, he's not really a creationist.
That is your opinion. You could be taking the Bible in a way that God did not intend... :cool: For example, when it says in Psalms that the trees clapped... should we assume that this literally happened? Should we not assume that this was spoken with hyperbole? Many view the Genesis creation record similarly. They do not think that it was intended to be a literal record, regarding times, many of the details, chronologically, etc..

GC

Last edited:

GoodCat

Why don't you give us specific biblical arguments as to why we should assume that Genesis 1 and 2 should be taken as you believe it was intended?

Right Divider

Body part
For example, when it says in Psalms that the trees clapped... should we assume that this literally happened?
Duh... it's not that hard to tell when the Bible is using figurative language. That doesn't mean the whole thing is figurative.
Should we not assume that this was spoken with hyperbole?
Yes, when we clearly see figurative language... we should take it figuratively.
Many view the Genesis creation record similarly.
It matters not one bit what "many" view. Those many are wrong.
They do not think that it was intended to be a literal record, regarding times, many of the details, chronologically, etc..
You need to support your argument. The natural understanding is that creation was literally six days. The rest of the Bible supports that position. Like this:
Exo 20:8-11 KJV Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. (9) Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: (10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: (11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
That passage does not allow any other understanding than six literal days.

Bradley D

I found it interesting years ago that I learned from a physics professor that the universe continues to expand.

Space expands, and hence grows, by virtue of creating new space. ... In this way of thinking, the expansion of space is reflected in the distance between two such galaxies growing larger and larger over time. And that characterization of the expansion holds true whether the universe is finite or infinite.

Ask Brian Greene: What Exactly Is the Universe Expanding Into ...​

www.worldsciencefestival.com › 2011/11 › ask_brian_gr...

Right Divider

Body part
I found it interesting years ago that I learned from a physics professor that the universe continues to expand.

Space expands, and hence grows, by virtue of creating new space. ... In this way of thinking, the expansion of space is reflected in the distance between two such galaxies growing larger and larger over time. And that characterization of the expansion holds true whether the universe is finite or infinite.

Ask Brian Greene: What Exactly Is the Universe Expanding Into ...

www.worldsciencefestival.com › 2011/11 › ask_brian_gr...
These sorts of ideas are highly speculative and based on very indirect types of "observations" and heavy reliance on models (which are, themselves, highly speculative).

The Bible speaks about God "stretching out the heavens". Those that believe otherwise see something different in the "observations".