Bloomberg: 'Yes' to Drugs 'No' to Styrofoam

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Plastic-Foam Containers, if the Mayor Gets His Way By Michael M. Grynbaum] "...Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, whose regulatory lance has slain fatty foods, supersize sodas, and smoking in parks, is now targeting plastic foam, :sozo2: the much-derided polymer that environmentalists have long tried to restrict..." Full text: Plastic-Foam Containers, if the Mayor Gets His Way Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10 :Commie: more

Last edited:

Dena

Seems reasonable to me. Exactly why is banning Styrofoam a bad thing? It's my planet too and I think it's a great idea.

Quincy

Who uses styrofoam anymore? I haven't seen it in ages, I barely even remember it. I just remember hearing it was bad for us and I rarely ever saw it again :idunno:?

Dena

Who uses styrofoam anymore? I haven't seen it in ages, I barely even remember it. I just remember hearing it was bad for us and I rarely ever saw it again :idunno:?

I've see it. Blech. Completely unnecessary stuff.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
He didn't say "yes to drugs." Not even close.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg rolled out the new policy during his State of the City address Thursday, announcing that possession in small quantities would only result in a trip to your local police precinct, a quick ID check for outstanding warrants and a notice to appear before a judge.

With New York State considering legislation to similarly decriminalize small amounts of pot, Bloomberg said it was logical to follow suit with local enforcement.

“I personally am not in favor of legalizing marijuana or any other drugs, I think it's a dangerous thing,” Bloomberg said Friday morning on the John Gambling radio show. “ But the reality is that for small amounts of marijuana there's an awful lot of kids that have it and you're just clogging the jails… you're clogging the courts, you're clogging the police.”

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I've see it. Blech. Completely unnecessary stuff.

Styrofoam cups, packaging peanuts, slabs for insulating packaging, forms for injection molding, flotation in boats, slabs for housing construction, cans for home use for sealing leaks - it's really a wonderful thing. :thumb:

One In Christ

Decriminalization is not legalization.

It is still illegal, and if you do get caught with some, you will be fined, and have it confiscated.

Dena

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
These can all be accomplished without the use of styrofoam.

Yep

We used to see an awful lot of corn starch peanuts.

Just rinse them down the drain!

Of course, what's the energy and pollution cost of all that wasted water? :think:

I remember dazzling my kids when they were little by sticking a two inch by two inch stick of styrofoam two feet long into a 500 ml beaker of acetone. :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There are inert insulating foam products, such as Icynene, that use much less petroleum, substituting plant products such as castor oil for much of the petroleum used in them.

fool

Hall of Fame
Yep

We used to see an awful lot of corn starch peanuts.

Just rinse them down the drain!

Of course, what's the energy and pollution cost of all that wasted water? :think:

Couldn't we make ethanol from them?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Bloomberg: Government Probably Shouldn't Force Exercise

Judge Halts New York City Soda Ban

2013-02-27T193111Z_1028237219_GM1E92S09OW01_RTRMADP_3_USA.JPG

zoo22

Since you live in Colorado, I can understand why you'd be so upset that NYC will have an informational campaign about hearing loss from earbuds.