Acts 28:11 the Gemini twins

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Acts 28:11 KJV
And after three months we departed in a ship of Alexandria, which had wintered in the isle, whose sign was Castor and Pollux.

The twin gods are Castor & Pollux (lads of Zeus/Jupiter) of the constellation Gemini.
It was common practice to have a figurehead of a god/gods on ships.
The pair were regarded as the patrons of sailors.

Temple of Castor & Pollux, Rome.

The-ruins-of-the-Roman-Forum.-Temple-of-Castor-and-Pollux.-Selective-focus.jpg

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
And after three months we departed in a ship of Alexandria, which had wintered in the isle, whose sign was Castor and Pollux.

The twin gods are Castor & Pollux (lads of Zeus/Jupiter) of the constellation Gemini.
So did they sin, even lightly, in boarding that ship, do you think?

Cool thread. :thumb:

way 2 go

or dual nature of Jesus , God and man

The Witness of the Stars by E. W. Bullinger​

The more ancient star-names help us to see through all these
and many other myths, and to discern Him of whom they tes-
tify; even Him in His twofold nature—God and Man—and His
twofold work of suffering and glory, and His twofold coming in
humiliation and in triumph.

There are 85 stars in the sign: two of the 2nd magnitude, four
of the 3rd, six of the 4th, etc.

The name of ± (in the head of the one at our right hand) is
called Apollo, which means ruler, or judge; while ≤ (in the head
of the other) is called Hercules, who cometh to labour, or suffer.
Another star, ≥ (in his left foot), is called Al Henah, which means[139]
hurt, wounded, or afflicted. Can we have a doubt as to what is the
meaning of this double presentation? In Ophiuchus we have the
two in one person: the crushed enemy, and the wounded heel. But
here the two great primeval truths are presented in two persons;
for He was “two persons in one God,” “God and man in one
Christ.” As man, suffering for our redemption; as God, glorified
for our complete salvation and final triumph. A star, μ (in the
centre of his body), is called Waset, which means set, and tells
of Him who “set His face like a flint” to accomplish this mighty
Herculean work; and, when the time was come, “steadfastly set
His face to go” to complete it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Hmm.
Why wouldn't they be gods????
Scripture tells us of many gods.
Seems rather odd to give a command to have no other god before YHWH if there weren't any.

God says that He alone is God, there is no other.

Do you think He was lying?

He mocks those who, with one half of a branch, cook a meal, and with the other, sculpt a god to worship.

Was He right for doing so?

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 8:4 that we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one.

Was Paul wrong?

---

I assert that the entities that the pagans call "gods" are not actually gods, but either figments of their imagination, or, as it pertains to the Nephilim and their offspring (see Genesis 6, and giants such as Goliath).

way 2 go

Hmm.
Why wouldn't they be gods????
Scripture tells us of many gods.
Seems rather odd to give a command to have no other god before YHWH if there weren't any.
(I Corinthians 8:4-6) Then concerning the eating of the things sacrificed to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God except one.

[5] For though there are those who are called gods, whether in Heaven or in earth (as there are many gods and many lords), [6] there is to usonly one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we by Him.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God says that He alone is God, there is no other.
YHWH says He is the unique god from all others.

Do you think He was lying?
I don't think scripture was lying when it says YHWH sits in the council of the gods.

Psalms 82:1 ESV​
A Psalm of Asaph. God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:​

Nor do I think scripture was lying when it says:

Exodus 15:11 ESV​
Who is like you, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?​

He mocks those who, with one half of a branch, cook a meal, and with the other, sculpt a god to worship.

Was He right for doing so?

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 8:4 that we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God but one.

Was Paul wrong?
Carved idols are not gods, they are statues that represent gods.

I assert that the entities that the pagans call "gods" are not actually gods, but either figments of their imagination, or, as it pertains to the Nephilim and their offspring (see Genesis 6, and giants such as Goliath).
Goliath was never called a god in scripture, nor was he ever worshipped as a god in scripture.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
(I Corinthians 8:4-6) Then concerning the eating of the things sacrificed to idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is no other God except one.

[5] For though there are those who are called gods, whether in Heaven or in earth (as there are many gods and many lords), [6] there is to usonly one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we by Him.
A carved idol is not a god.
And verse 5 above says there ARE many gods, and it says "to us" there is only one God, meaning you should not worship any other god.

way 2 go

A carved idol is not a god.
And verse 5 above says there ARE many gods, and it says "to us" there is only one God, meaning you should not worship any other god.
[5] For though there are those who are called gods...

all are created , only God is eternally existent . agree ?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Because He is. He's the only one who actually exists. All the others are false gods.

I don't think scripture was lying when it says YHWH sits in the council of the gods.

A Psalm of Asaph. God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:​

I agree. Scripture was and is not lying.

But there's more to it than when you just taking scripture woodenly literally.

This is poetry. Not prose. A psalm.

Spoiler
Strong's h430

- Lexical: אֱלהִים
- Transliteration: elohim
- Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
- Phonetic Spelling: el-o-heem'
- Definition: God, god.
- Origin: Plural of 'elowahh; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative.
- Usage: angels, X exceeding, God (gods)(-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.
- Translated as (count): God (847), your God (486), of God (317), our God (133), the God (131), my God (89), gods (84), their God (50), the gods (41), his God (39), of our God (38), of the God (27), to God (23), their gods (17), in God (14), to gods (12), of his God (11), of your God (11), a god (10), of my God (10), to the God (9), of gods (8), of their God (8), your gods (8), and God (7), and the God (7), from God (7), and my God (6), to their gods (6), to our God (5), for God (4), of the gods (4), of their gods (4), the judges (elohim) (4), against God (3), and your God (3), But God (3), by God (3), for our God (3), of your gods (3), - (2), against our God (2), and by my God (2), and their gods (2), as God (2), But the God (2), from my God (2), God's (2), in the God (2), like God (2), mighty (elohim) (2), my gods (2), of a god (2), that God (2), the goddess (2), Through God (2), to his God (2), to my God (2), to your God (2), after their gods (1), against her God (1), against the God (1), Among the gods (1), an exceedingly (elohim) (1), and gods (1), and of the God (1), and on their gods (1), and the gods (1), and their God (1), and Yes our God (1), any God (1), as gods (1), as the gods (1), before God (1), before the God (1), belong to God (1), but our God (1), by his God (1), by his gods (1), by my God (1), by the God (1), by your God (1), Elohe (1), for his God (1), for my God (1), for the God (1), for their gods (1), for your God (1), from the God (1), from the gods (1), God Himself is (1), God-given (1), Godly (1), gods of its own (1), her God (1), her gods (1), his God was (1), in my God (1), is God (1), like our God (1), Make God (1), nor with their gods (1), O God (1), of God was (1), of her God (1), of her gods (1), of his gods (1), of the God of (1), on the God (1), or gods (1), our God to us (1), our gods (1), our gods' (1), our own God (1), rather than God (1), than the angels (elohim) (1), their own gods (1), to his gods (1), to the gods (1), to their God (1), upon God (1), upon His God (1), with great (elohim) (1), with our God (1).

Thus, some things are literal, and some things are figurative. Given the context of the rest of scripture, we know that other gods, false gods, are false because they don't exist.

Who is like you, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders?​

I also agree that Scripture was and is not lying here as well.

Moses (and the Children of Israel, by the way) is comparing God (in a song) against the false gods of the pagans. He's not saying they exist as actual entities. They exist as nothing more than concepts created by men in their rebellion against the only true God.

As Hoping said: they are gods to those who make them such, who place them above the one true God. Hence, "You shall have no other gods before Me," says the LORD:

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. - Exodus 20:4-6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus20:4-6&version=NKJV

Goliath was never called a god in scripture, nor was he ever worshipped as a god in scripture.

Never said he was.

I'm saying that the memory of Humanity is often exaggerated far beyond reality, especially for things that are beyond the normal to begin with.

Just look at the flood stories from cultures around the world. They're usually extremely exaggerated, while still retaining the basics of what actually happened.

Was Paul a part of the "us" in that verse? Or was he one of "them"?

Are the "them" those who worship false gods?

What does Paul say in Acts 17:22-31?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

So just what are these other gods? Where did they come from and what could they do?

Are they created beings? If so, who created them and for what purpose? Was this a separate creation event from that recorded in Genesis? If not, on what day were these gods created? If so, who did the creating and what else was created during this creation event?

Does Zeus and his children exist to this day? If so, where? If not, what happened to them? Do you believe that Zeus ever threw lightning bolts? Does Zeus still throw lightning bolts now? Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela is the lightning capital of the world, is this evidence of Zeus' current location?

Is Giorgio A. Tsoukalos right, were the ancient gods aliens from another planet?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course there are other gods, scripture tells us there are.

Another example:

Exodus 12:12 KJV​
For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.​

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Another example:

For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.​

Another instance where you're reading into the verse your a priori belief that because they're mentioned, they must be actual, real entities, when in reality, there is only one true God, and all the others are false gods.

The "gods of Egypt" mentioned here are "the things that the egyptians worshipped as gods rather than the true God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

They're concepts, perhaps based on real entities, depending on which one you're referring to, but still non-existent. AKA: "false gods."

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Another example:

So just what are these other gods? Where did they come from and what could they do?

Are they created beings? If so, who created them and for what purpose? Was this a separate creation event from that recorded in Genesis? If not, on what day were these gods created? If so, who did the creating and what else was created during this creation event?

Does Zeus and his children exist to this day? If so, where? If not, what happened to them? Do you believe that Zeus ever threw lightning bolts? Does Zeus still throw lightning bolts now? Lake Maracaibo in Venezuela is the lightning capital of the world, is this evidence of Zeus' current location?

Is Giorgio A. Tsoukalos right, were the ancient gods aliens from another planet?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They are not just "mentioned" they are said to receive judgment from YHWH.
Something that does not exist cannot receive judgement from YHWH.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
They are not just "mentioned" they are said to receive judgment from YHWH.
Something that does not exist cannot receive judgement from YHWH.

Are they created beings? If so, who created them and for what purpose? Was this a separate creation event from that recorded in Genesis? If not, on what day were these gods created? If so, who did the creating and what else was created during this creation event?]