Acts 2:38 and the purpose of baptism

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Denies the way the trinity understands the distiction. However the article on Acts 2:38 is agreed upon by some trinitarians as well. You are judging the article before you have even read it

It either denies or it doesn't. Which is it?

turbosixx

Lots of baptism threads lately. Im still dry though!

You don't believe the words of Jesus?

Mk. 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

SimpleMan77

Of course I do. Whosoever believes in the Son of God has life!

Did Simon believe when he was baptized? He did not, it's why he didn't receive the Spirit. Acts 8

Did the believers who believed and got the spirit yet were not baptized an anomaly? Acts 10:43-47

I believe God is consistent as he is not a respecter of persons.

It doesn't matter if you receive the Holy Ghost before or after you get baptized, but you must do both.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

turbosixx

Of course I do.
If you haven't been baptized, I would respectfully suggest you do not.

Did Simon believe when he was baptized? He did not, it's why he didn't receive the Spirit. Acts 8
He did believe.
13 Even Simon himself believed; and after being baptized,

Did the believers who believed and got the spirit yet were not baptized an anomaly? Acts 10:43-47
Yes, maybe not an anomaly but definitely a special situation. Consider this. There are only two times people received the Holy Spirit directly from God and it was made evident by speaking in tongues, the apostles and the first Gentile converts. The conversion of Cornelius takes up a complete (long) chapter and is referenced in 2 other chapters. If you will notice when they received the Holy Spirit Peter says it was just like them (apostles) at the beginning which would be Pentecost.
Acts 11:15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as He did upon us at the beginning. Also, in both of these special situations the bible tells us it was baptism with the Holy Spirit.

I believe God is consistent as he is not a respecter of persons.

I agree.

Right Divider

Body part
It doesn't matter if you receive the Holy Ghost before or after you get baptized, but you must do both.
You'd better do it ALL then:

Mark 16:16-20 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (16:17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; (16:18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (16:19) ¶ So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. (16:20) And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with [them], and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Otherwise you're a poser.

turbosixx

My point was simon didn't receive the spirit. they were simply baptized. thats because his heart was not in the right place.

I agree, his heart wasn't totally right.

None of them received the Holy Spirit.
16 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Last edited:

SimpleMan77

You'd better do it ALL then:

Mark 16:16-20 (AKJV/PCE)
(16:16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (16:17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; (16:18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (16:19) ¶ So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. (16:20) And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with [them], and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Otherwise you're a poser.

It's all for us today. Handle snakes with a shotgun, the tires of a car, or a shovel. If they do bite you, do the same thing Paul did. Of course, the worst "snakes" are the generation of vipers, religious hypocrites.

"IF" you drink something deadly, God can and will protect His own.

Cast out Devils? Some people need them cast out. Healings? Thank God He still heals. Speaking with tongues? God never stopped pouring out His Spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

COGTHW

Amen I say , I say amen. Truth nothing but truth. Amen 3 Godheads.?? NO SIR.!! ONE.!! One Lord Jesus Christ, One Throne Jesus Christ, One Faith Hoilness.! HOLINESS I SAY.!!

COGTHW

http://onenesspentecostal.com/Acts238baptism.htm

This is a scholarly and exegetical look at Acts 2:38

One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, All in the name of Jesus Christ.!! One Lord cause the LORD thy God said there is none but HE.!! His name is Jesus Christ. One faith because the LORD thy God said He is Holy so you be holy. HOLINESS I SAY.!!! One Baptism because there is but ONE NAME AMONG MEN WHEREBY WE MUST BE SAVED.!! Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is Lord of Heaven and earth.! Every tongue shall confess and every knee bow. Because He is the true God.!

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Acts 8:13 Then Simon himself also believed and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done.